Do food sales require business licensing?

Nina L. Kaufman, Esq.

An award-winning small business attorney in New York City, Nina is a sought-after professional speaker and Entrepreneur Magazine online contributor. She is the go-to counsel for knowledge economy and creative companies, delivering legal services and educational resources that save them time, money, and aggravation.

Posted on September 19, 2014 in NOT NEEDED

Q.:  I own a restaurant and I’m planning to sell my desserts (my own recipe) in mini markets and grocery stores. Do I need another type of business licensing besides what I have now?


A.:  Generally, restaurants and other food service businesses must obtain a food service permit to comply with business licensing requirements.  Retail food stores—including vending machines—and food manufacturers, processors, and wholesalers, must have a food establishment permit.  Check with an attorney in your area to see whether the kind of permit you have covers both activities.  If not, you will need to apply for the appropriate business licensing.


What other law questions do you have about business licensing and zoning codes?


To get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox, enter your email in the box below:

back to top