When do I need a new employer tax ID for an LLC?

Nina L. Kaufman, Esq.

An award-winning small business attorney in New York City, Nina is a sought-after professional speaker and Entrepreneur Magazine online contributor. She is the go-to counsel for knowledge economy and creative companies, delivering legal services and educational resources that save them time, money, and aggravation.

Posted on October 8, 2020 in Form a Company

Q.:  I recently became a sole owner of an LLC due to a partnership split. I am renaming the LLC due to the split. Is it necessary to obtain a new employer tax ID (also known as an “EIN”) for the new LLC?


A.:  Generally, a simple name change of an LLC does not require a change in employer tax ID.  However, when the ownership changes from multiple owners to a single owner (as is the situation you’re facing), a new employer tax ID is required.  The IRS website has helpful information on the subject of employer tax ID numbers.


What other law questions do you have about company ownership and board meetings?


To get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox, enter your email in the box below:

back to top