Is business licensing needed for a vegetable stand?

Nina L. Kaufman, Esq.

An award-winning small business attorney in New York City, Nina is a sought-after professional speaker and Entrepreneur Magazine online contributor. She is the go-to counsel for knowledge economy and creative companies, delivering legal services and educational resources that save them time, money, and aggravation.

Posted on May 27, 2021 in NOT NEEDED

Q.:  Do I need business licensing to start a roadside vegetable stand, selling items from my garden?


A.:  A number of states prohibit the sale of any agricultural products without the proper business licensing.  Because business licensing varies for place to place, contact your local government to see if it has those restrictions and if so, how to apply for business licensing to cover your activities.

Also speak with a commercial insurance broker.  Selling vegetables from your garden may be considered “business activity” that is not covered by your homeowner’s insurance.  For example, if you sell someone a putrid pepper and they become gravely ill and sue you, you want to be sure you’re protected.  Homeowner’s insurance doesn’t protect you from all activity just because it takes place in your home or on your property if it has a business purpose.


What other law questions do you have about business licensing and zoning codes?


To get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox, enter your email in the box below:

back to top