When do I need a new employer tax ID for an LLC?

By Nina Kaufman, Esq.

Q.:  I recently became a sole owner of an LLC due to a partnership split. I am renaming the LLC due to the split. Is it necessary to obtain a new employer tax ID (also known as an “EIN”) for the new LLC?


A.:  Generally, a simple name change of an LLC does not require a change in employer tax ID.  However, when the ownership changes from multiple owners to a single owner (as is the situation you’re facing), a new employer tax ID is required.  The IRS website has helpful information on the subject of employer tax ID numbers.


What other law questions do you have about company ownership and board meetings?

Have questions about working with Kaufman Business Law? This is the video to watch.